Bellingham Cold Storage
Work Location: Bellingham, WA – Roeder Main Office
Department: Finance | Report to: CEO or CFO | Position is Full-time exempt
The Controller leads and directs all accounting, finance and treasury functions of the company including financial reporting, accounting procedures, budgeting, forecasting, risk management, business contract negotiations and financial controls. The Controller is an important contributor in formulating and evaluating company direction, objectives, plans and strategic initiatives.
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions.
- Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of business results.
- Coordinate and prepare internal and external financial statements.
- Establish and implement financial budgets that align with the company’s strategic objectives.
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports and operating results to management and the board.
- Create effective business metrics, strategic frameworks, and modeling to drive financial decisions, accountability and ownership across the organization.
- Partner with CEO, CFO and executive team to model and analyze new business opportunities.
- Review and approve all corporate contracts (including customer and other business leases) and establish controls related to negotiation, legal review, document management and renewals.
- Manage insurance broker relationships, policies, renewals and claims processes.
- Manage the fixed asset ledger, depreciation scheduling and reporting.
- Manage capital asset requests and the capital budgeting process and track performance relative to budget.
- Develop departmental budgeting guidelines, create communication plan for implementation, and maintain monthly and annual operating budget, including a delineated expense approval process.
- Supervise accounts payable and accounts receivable staff and ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases and financial software.
- Ensure regular maintenance and backup of all accounting systems.
- Manage and optimize the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Serve as a key point of contact and provide support for internal and external auditors.
- Maintain banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets. Provide quarterly budget to forecast updates based on year to date actual results.
- Remain current on audit best practices as well as state, federal and local laws regarding company operations.
- Monitor and ensure timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance (CPA and/or MBA preferred).
- Experience with successfully implementing new financial accounting, reporting and ERP systems.
- Five years minimum experience as a management-level financial executive, controller, accounting manager, or similar position.
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of GAAP.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Proficient in the use of MS Excel.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and management presence.
- Proven ability to mentor and motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Significant experience working with auditors and compliance-related issues.
Other Essential Job Duties Include:
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Regular and punctual attendance at work.
- Occasional travel.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
After reviewing the job description (outlined above), if you believe you are a good fit for this position, please download and submit the completed BCS application with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you’re applying for in the email subject line. In your cover letter please address the following areas:
* How your experience and qualifications make you a good fit for this position.
* Your experience implementing new financial accounting, reporting and ERP systems.
First consideration given to applications received by April 18, 2021. Position open until filled.