Bellingham Cold Storage
Work Location: BCS Main Office, Bellingham, WA
Department: Management/Administrative | Report to: President & CEO | Position is Full-time Salary Exempt
Bellingham Cold Storage (BCS) seeks an experienced Human Resources Manager professional.
We are an industry-leading cold chain logistics company based in Bellingham, WA. We own and manage several warehouse locations including the largest portside cold storage facility on the West Coast.
Our Core Values
At BCS, we embrace the core values of: Teamwork, Integrity, Quality, Accountability, and Attitude.
The Human Resources Manager develops and implements HR strategies and initiatives that align and support the organization’s overall mission. A member of the management team, this position supervises the Sr. Human Resource Specialist, Payroll Specialist, HR Generalist, and Receptionist. The position oversees all HR functions including; labor relations and union contract compliance for two separate unions, oversight and responsibility for payroll, benefits, pension, talent acquisition, onboarding, performance management, and employment law compliance. Other responsibilities include lead representative for the company sponsored medical clinics through Family Care Network.
Essential Job Functions
- Strategic partner in talent acquisition to meet business operations including managing effective employment branding, recruitment programs, selection processes, hiring and onboarding activities. Maintains focus on hiring and onboarding to ensure a diverse, inclusive workforce representing the company’s core values.
- Maintains and updates personnel policies and procedures, best practices manual, BCS code of conduct and BCS core values. Meets with employees individually and in groups, as necessary, to explain personnel policies and programs.
- Develops and manages a competitive and equitable compensation system by preparing and updating job descriptions, performing job audits, obtaining comparable salary information, coordinating performance review process, and recommending annual salary adjustments. Also supervises the payroll function.
- Manages benefits programs which includes Leading the BCS private medical clinic coordination/communication, provides benefit information to employees, recommends and oversees benefit plan changes, and coordinates employee benefit feedback process. Also coordinates COBRA administration.
- Manages labor relations activities including collective bargaining, contract management and compliance, grievance processing, etc.
- Plays an active role in employee relations. Assists supervisors and managers in resolving personnel problems; provides advice and counseling on a wide-range of human resources subjects. Assists employees in resolving work-related problems.
- Coordinates and supports the organization’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) program. Conducts or coordinates workplace investigations as needed.
- Manages the Worker’s Compensation Program, including communications with the Department of Labor, coordinating the light-duty/return to work program, OSHA monitoring and reporting. Identifies areas of risk and suggested improvements in the area of worker safety.
- Responsible for making presentations to various groups (employees, managers, and Board of Directors) on human resource policies and programs.
- Maintains all personnel, payroll and benefit records both through the HRIS system and physical files. Participates in the payroll/benefit audit functions as needed.
- Develops and coordinates professional development program, to include on-site and off-site training opportunities.
- Assures compliance with relevant state and federal employment laws and regulations through research and consultation with legal counsel.
Other Job Functions
- Assists in the organization of company-sponsored events, activities, and functions.
- Conducts research and collects data on human resource programs and practices as needed.
- Performs special projects as assigned that may include extensive research, public contact, and report writing.
- Modern principles and practices of Human Resources management
- Federal, state and local laws pertaining to Human Resources management, labor relations, Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
- Develop, implement, and manage sound Human Resource and administrative practices and procedures.
- Excellent active listening, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Develop and implement goals, objectives, and budget for Human Resources department.
- Work effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, outside agencies, and with the general public.
- Ability to collect, compile, and analyze information to increase efficiency.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Suite and other software. Experience with Paycom a plus.
- Physical ability to perform the essential job functions including, but not limited to, sitting, traveling, communicating (verbal and written), and computer keyboard manipulation. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel and lift/move up to 15 pounds.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field with SHRM or HRCI certification highly preferred. Direct hands-on Human Resources experience may be substituted for full educational requirements.
- Five or more years management-level experience in HR program management.
- Experience and responsibility for recruitment and selection, employee relations, policy development, benefits administration, compensation administration, and worker’s compensation administration required.
- Experience with labor relations and collective bargaining highly preferred.
- Experience with Covid-19 Safe Work Plan development and management.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license at time of hire in order to operate vehicle for work-related travel.
Pay and Benefits
Salary: $80,000 – $100,000 depending on experience
Exceptional Benefit Package:
- 401k match program
- Medical, dental and vision coverage (currently less than $150/month for the entire family)
- Access to 10 local and well-established medical clinics with no co-pays
- Disability Insurance
- Company provided Life Insurance
- Very generous paid time off plan rounding out an exceptional benefits package.
- Opportunities for growth, and development
This posting does not identify all essential functions nor is it a full job description. This information will be provided to all serious candidates upon request.
Bellingham Cold Storage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
Kara Turner, Turner HR Services, Inc. will be assisting us in this very important selection process.
As part of the application process, please complete all the items listed below and submit them directly to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- BCS Application Form, click here.
- Minimum Qualification Checklist, click here.
- Resume & Cover Letter
Your cover letter should address the following areas:
- Why are you interested in working for BCS in this position?
- What experiences, skills and traits make you a good fit for this position?
Questions regarding materials may be referred to Kara Turner by email or phone (360) 739-5531.
First preference given to application packets received by 5pm on December 15, 2021. Position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com